Introduced in 1890, Frederica was the first of a class of three vessels built by J & G Thompson, Clydebank for the LSWR. Designed by their celebrated marine architect, John Biles, Frederica was fitted with triple expansion engines driving twin screws giving a service speed of 18 knots.
In 1903 after having initially served on Weymouth - Channel Islands and St. Malo services, Frederica transferred up channel to the Southampton - Le Havre service.
In 1911 Frederica was sold to a Turkish shipping company, Idarei Massousieh of Constantinople and renamed Nilufer. Taken over by the Administration de Navigation a Vapeur Ottomane, Constantinople in 1912 she sank after striking a mine in the Bosphorus in November 1914.