Built by the Fairfield Engineering and Shipbuilding Co, Govan in 1886 for the London Chatham & Dover Railway. The Victoria was built with a double-ended hull designed to facilitate the departure from Calais where the narrowness of the channel obliged ferries to go astern for a considerable distance before being able to turn around. This design feature was to be reused on the slightly larger and more powerful Empress built a year later. In 1896 she was chartered to the Chemins de Fer du Nord for 2 years and transferred to the French register thus allowing the Nord to participate in the carriage of French mails.
She was withdrawn from service and scrapped in 1904.