Built in 1913 by William Denny & Brothers at Dumbarton for the London Brighton & South Coast Railway. After wartime duty as a troopship and later as a mine-layer she finally entered service on the Newhaven - Dieppe line in 1919. In an extensive refit during the winter of 1927-28 her promenade decks were plated-in and a pilot house was added to her raised bridge. An additional pair of lifeboats were also installed. A further refit in 1932 saw her being converted to oil burning.
At the outbreak of World War II Paris was requisitioned for use as a troopship. She was taken out of service in December 1939 and converted to a hospital carrier (No. 32), sailed mainly between Newhaven and Dieppe. Paris was bombed and sunk during the Dunkirk evacuation.