Channel Packets

A postcard history of English Channel ferries since 1900.

Channel Packets Home » Companies » Great Western Railway


Updated: 04-04-2014

The first launched of three sister ships built by Laird Brothers of Birkenhead, Lynx entered service on the Weymouth - Channel Islands service in 1889.  Converted to a cargo vessel in 1912.

After wartime service as a minesweeper Lynx (renamed Lynn since a destroyer already had the same name) returned to the GWR in 1920. She continued to serve as a cargo vessel until being sold for scrap in 1925.

Sorry, no pictures for the moment!

«  Previous ship     Next ship »