Built in 1893 by the Forges et Chantiers de la Méditerranée at Le Havre, the Tamise (Thames) was an improved version of the Seine, the first French built steamer to be introduced on the Newhaven - Dieppe route in 1891. At first glance, she appeared similar to her sister except for her upper deck, which was extended aftwards allowing the aftermost pair of lifeboats to be placed in cradles on the deck. She also had more ventilateurs clustered around slightly squatter funnels. She was more heavily built, giving rise to draught problems until she was refitted with lighter, though more coal-hungry, watertube boilers.
The Tamise had an uneventual career, continuing in service until being made redundant by the introduction of the turbine steamer Newhaven in 1911. Laid up in 1912 she was sold for scrap in 1914 although she was not actually broken up until after World War 1.